I love S’mores. Melty chocolate and gooey marshmallow sandwiched between crisp graham crackers is a time-honored campfire treat. Countless times, I sat staring into the flames, twirling a big puffy marshmallow on on the end of a hand-picked green stick whittled to a fine point, waiting for the perfect browning. Too close or too long in the wrong spot, and it would burst into flame. Sometimes accidents happen on purpose. Please hand me another marshmallow.
Gimme S’more Squares
The recipe for Warm Toasted Marshmallow S’more Squares @ Betty Crocker is pure genius. No eggs required, and totally EASY! Whenever I find the sugar cookie mix on sale, I like to stock up so I can make quick treats like these. They’re totally delicious, pack perfectly in lunches, and go great with coffee or a big glass of cold milk.
I tweaked the recipe a little to produce a smaller batch with more graham flavour and decided to break out some gourmet chocolate bars for the topping. I used Dagoba Organic Dark Chocolate, but many other flavours would be yummy. Also, try your local store brand graham crackers; Safeway’s grahams have an excellent texture and taste and cost less.
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a 9×9 pan.
- Chop fancy chocolate bars to make about 1 1/2 cups of chocolate bits.
- Bash or food process about 8 graham crackers to make 1 Cup of crumbs.
Make a Grahamtastic Cookie Crust
- Mix 1 Cup of Graham Cracker Crumbs with 2 Cups (about 1/2 bag) of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix.
- Melt 1 stick of butter, stir in 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract, and add to dry ingredients.
- Press dough into pan and bake 18 minutes.
Add the Chocolate and Marshmallows
When the cookie crust is done, turn off the oven and preheat the broiler.
- While the crust is still warm, sprinkle 1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate over top and let it melt. Spread melted chocolate to edges of crust.
- Top with 2 cups miniature marshmallows and return pan to oven about six inches below the broiler.
- Broil until marshmallows are lightly browned ~ 1 min (watch them carefully!)
- LET THEM COOL—I know it’s hard.
- Cut into squares and NOM!
Other S’more recipes:
- S’mores + Peeps = Smeeps!
- S’More Cookie Bars @ Baking Bites
- Chocolate Graham Cupcakes w/Marshmallow Frosting @ Martha Stewart
- Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies @ Food Network
- Homemade Graham Crackers @ Smitten Kitchen
- Homemade Marshmallows @ Martha Stewart
That looks unbelievably delicious and simple too!
Thank you! It’s a fun recipe to do with kids, too.
Wha- NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT S’MORES DAY. I CAN’T BELIEVE I MISSED THIS. Damn, I’m gonna have to make these first thing tomorrow!
yours look great! my kids love for me to make these when they want to set up a lemonade stand. try homemade marshmallows next time. super good!
Thanks 8) Long live the lemonade stand! I’m very keen on making my own marshmallows someday.